Surplus Real Property
Latest News — Port of Port Royal Property is listed for sale at Public Auction as of Jan. 1, 2017
Pursuant to Proviso 93.32 of the 2016-2017 South Carolina General Appropriations Act and Section 54-3-700 of the South Carolina Code of Laws, the South Carolina Department of Administration (Admin) will sell the Port of Port Royal property through a public auction process.
Admin was required to obtain a new appraisal for the property. That appraisal has been received and may be viewed here.
As of Jan. 1, 2017, the property is listed for sale at public auction. The auction will be open for 90 days. Initial qualifying offers must be submitted by midnight March 16, 2017. Best and final qualifying offers from those submitting initial qualifying offers will then be due no later than midnight March 31, 2017. The property must be sold at a price that is equal to or greater than 80 percent of the appraised value.
For additional information on the property, please visit the CBRE Sale of the Port of Port Royal website.
Conveyances of surplus real property are subject to Department of Administration approval. Unless specifically otherwise exempted, the following procedures are followed in the disposal of real property:
- A state agency may declare real property as surplus by sending written notice to Real Property Services identifying the property and providing information regarding the prior use of the property. Once the real property has been deemed surplus by the agency and prior to any disposal efforts being made, the agency shall contact Real Property Services to determine the method of disposal.
- Real Property Services maintains a central listing of surplus real property for reference in reviewing subsequent property acquisition needs of state agencies.
- If an agency's need for additional real property can be met with state-owned property, Real Property Services, on behalf of the Division of Facilities Management and Property Services, shall act as broker in transferring or assigning the property to the requesting agency.
- The Department of Administration may authorize the Division of Facilities Management and Property Services to sell any surplus real property. Real Property Services has discretion to determine the method of disposal to be used, which possible methods include: sealed bid process, listing the property with a private broker, listing the property for auction with a private auctioneer, or any other method determined by Real Property Services to be commercially reasonable considering the type and location of property involved.
- Prior to the disposal of real property, Real Property Services places notices in several publications and venues including state and local newspapers, the South Carolina Business Opportunities Newsletter (SCBO) and this Real Property Services website.
- Prior to the disposal of real property, an appraisal of the property by a state certified appraiser, preferably MAI, must be approved by Real Property Services.
- Except in extraordinary circumstances, real property will not be sold for less than its appraised value.
Surplus Real Property Links
- Properties for Sale (Offers may be submitted, at any time, for the properties identified here)