The state of South Carolina is committed to finding the best individuals and giving them the opportunity to use their talents to improve their state and communities. To do this, agencies must have an effective recruiting strategy.
An effective recruiting strategy enables agencies to:
- Quickly create a pool of qualified applicants.
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Create a partnership between human resources and hiring managers to proactively recruit rather than react to job openings.
- Decrease employee training costs.
- Support the agency’s needs and mission.
To assist agencies with their recruitment needs, the Division State Human Resources (DSHR) provides the following resources.
Rapid Hire Toolkit
DSHR designed the Rapid Hire Toolkit, which gives agencies guidance on the design and implementation of a rapid hire event. Topics covered include:
- General information concerning rapid hire events.
- Benefits of rapid hire events.
- Guidance for planning and hosting a rapid hire event.
- Veteran's Preference Memorandum
- Veteran's Preference Feb. 16, 2021 Memorandum - DD Form Update
- Veteran's Hiring Toolkit
Critical Employees Recruitment
The General Assembly amended Section 117.62 (Critical Employee Recruitment and Retention) of the 2022- 2023 Appropriations Act to allow state agencies to spend state, federal, and other sources of revenue to provide lump sum bonuses to aid in recruiting and retaining workers in critical needs jobs which provide services that directly impact the health, safety, and welfare of the public. The proviso also allows agencies to provide paid educational leave, student loan repayment, and tuition reimbursement to individuals employed in critical needs positions. Agencies receive no special funding for this program; instead, agencies deciding to use the program must use funds from their existing budgets.
Critical Employees Recruitment and Retention Program Guidelines
Critical Needs Positions Request Form
Job Vacancy Posting
For information about job posting requirements and exemptions click here.
To assist agencies in reaching a broad and diverse pool of candidates the South Carolina Department of Administration has created careers.sc.gov that includes:
- Current job openings.
- Employee benefit information.
- Job search tips.
- Career development opportunities available to state employees.
- Information about living in South Carolina.
Careers.sc.gov also includes testimonials from current state employees explaining why they made the decision to work for the state. Agencies are encouraged to create similar content for their own recruitment pages.
Job openings are also publicized through Facebook and Twitter.
E-Verify / South Carolina Illegal Immigration Reform Act
For information about E-Verify and the South Carolina Illegal Immigration Reform Act, click here.
For information about conducting virtual interviews, please review Tips for Conducting Virtual Interviews.